So Andy went with me to the market on Saturday and I showed him this stall where they sell authentic boon tong ginger. The store owner is a Boon Tong native and he brought with him sesame oil, soy sauce… all good stuff. Tops on our list when our stock runs out.
I have a hunk of a pig’s trotter (two actually, a front and a back). I wanted to try out a new recipe with it with lemongrass but Andy insisted that the only way to treat pigs trotters was with vinegar and so sigh, here we are. Another day… I will sneak this new recipe. Watch this space.
I cannot claim credit for the pigs trotter, I got this fabulous recipe off here… It’s Annie’s recipe passed down from her mom, Madam Chai. It’s the best, my husband tells me it’s the best in the world hahahaha… SCORE.
I also made grilled chicken cos the kids just can’t appreciate the vinegar dish haha. But the real star of the dinner is the corn soup.
So, presenting… everyone’s favourite corn soup:
- One can of creamed corn
- Water (use the can of the creamed corn to measure, about 2 cans)
- One carrot
- One can of button mushrooms
- Just a little bit of milk
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Add creamed corn and water in a pot, bring to boil.
- If you REALLY REALLY corn, you can stir in some real corns.
- Cut up the carrots into large chunks. Put them into the pot as well.
- When it’s boiling, add button mushroom, and the milk. Bring to boil again.
- After about 20mins, you can turn off the heat, and add salt and pepper to taste.
It’s a soup that’s easy to drink, easy to prepare, easy to like. Enjoy!