My meals on weekdays have to be one-pot and easy to prepare. I typically only have a 30 minute window to whip them up in the morning. I spend a lot of time planning these one pot meals… the quicker you need to execute, the more planning you have to do.
- Salted fish (I use those soaked in oil in a bottle)
- Mustard green (大菜）
- One big tomato (sliced into big chunks)
- Pork (today, I use 夹心肉, but roast pork belly works very well too)
- stir fry the aromatics… garlic and salted fish
- when fragrant, add pork and stir fry for a while
- add tomato and mustard green, stir it a bit
- add water, enough to cover the meat will do. remember we are making a braise, not soup.
- braise for about 20 minutes, then add fish sauce and.a dash of oyster sauce.
I think, but I have not tried, that if you use the same ingredients, but without salted fish and with more water, this makes for a nice pot of soup… add some bee hoon, that’s another one pot meal!