We originally thought we’d have guests over for dinner but they bailed on us. So tonight’s dinner was more elaborated. The second part of the Planet of the Apes series was showing on TV and we reminicised about the time we watched part one in Gold Class. An surprised me tonight. “Mummy,” she asked. “why don’t you open up a restaurant?” Considering how my children typically rates their canteen food better than mine, I am immensely flattered.
So here you go… I present An’s restaurant-worthy dinner. Bittergourd and pineapple soup, fishmaw with scallops and cabbage, steamed minced meat with salted fish, and stir fried prawns in tomato wine sauce. The recipe I will share today is for the soup.
Bittergourd with pineapple soup
I thought the combination of bittergourd and pineapple is refreshing. I also improvised with some more ingredients. Yang was drawn to the aroma as the soup was boiling away… smells delicious, he said.
- One bittergourd
- One small pineapple
- One cup of soy beans
- Pork ribs (about 500grammmes
- Dried honey date
- Soak the soy beans for two hours, drain.
- Deseed and slice the bittergourd, sprinkle with salt. Leave for 15min and then squeeze the water out.
- Cut off the skin and chop up the pineapples into big chunks.
- Put all ingredients except parsley in a soup pot, add in water till it covers all the ingredients.
- Boil for two hours.
- Chop up the parsley and sprinkle them onto the soup just before serving.